December 5, 2009

Neosporin? Don't you mean Polysporin?

 One thing I've really spent time thinking sbout is the differences (in terms of what I've seen) between the United States and Canada. Y'know, like food and other consumer products.


One of these is the topical antibiotic ointment Neosporin, which is called Polysporin here in Canada. It's the same product in both packages. I'm not sure why it's called a different name here, maybe because the FDA doesn't cover food and drugs sold in Canada (like original Preparation H in Canada) and therefore has no control over whether the name is changed or not. Of course, I could be wrong.

 A funnier difference is the mere presence of Sugar Crisp cereal. It used to be sold under that name in both countries, but the U.S. got the cereal renamed to Golden Crisp a few years ago. Unfortunately, that means no more of that addictive jingle "Can't get enough of that Sugar Crisp". But it's still named Sugar Crisp here in Canada. Plus, more younger Canadians than younger Americans would probably get the Sugar Crisp joke from the Simpsons episode "Treehouse of Horror X", in which Homer sings (in tune to the jingle) "'Cause I forgot to put the foglights in!"




 A cereal I really want to be sold in Canada is Total cereal, which sports 100% of the daily recommended value for many vitamins and minerals. I enjoyed it very much when I went to New York last summer. Unfortunately, the only way Canadians even know about the cereal is through commercials on American channels.



 A very interesting difference is with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, which are just called Reese Peanut Butter Cups in Canada. The taste, as well as the cup's consistency, is quite different.





Another one I should bring up is Becel margarine (a staple in my diet), which is sold under the Becel name in Canada, the Netherlands, and a few other countries. In the U.K., it's sold under the name Flora, and under the name Promise in the U.S. Note the similar heart-shaped logo.



But some good news: Milani Cosmetics, a brand of highly-pigmented, drugstore cosmetics is now in Canada! They're being sold here in the Real Canadian Superstore (and other Loblaws stores), where the late Jane Cosmetics used to be sold. A much-welcomed change to my beauty shopping experience!


4 comments:

  1. hello.....introduce me im JR, matbe is my first time to visiting in here from bloggupp, wow ur blog so nice. im glad to be here.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha nice post. I think that this is due to cultural differences perhaps. Marketing teams are crazy. :)

    nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Nice blog. Eye catching presentation.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see why the US changed the name and packaging of Sugar Crisp to Golden Crisp. The bear in the Canadian packaging looks totally loaded on sugar. The Golden crisp bear looks happy and, well, Golden.

    Totally makes sense, except... Can't get enough of that sugar crisp.

    I just love when the cereal gets a little stale and all comes out of the box in one giant lump...

    ReplyDelete